Sunday, March 5, 2017

Whistle Soda by Vess Beverages

I dug this shard at a family dumpsite a few months ago.

Art Deco "Whistle" Soda Bottle Shard
This shard belonged to this bottle
I already knew this company from another bottle that I own, but the mystery behind this shard was finding which specific bottle it belonged to. Once I found out, I did some research.
Vess Beverages, a locally owned beverage company (until 1994, when it was sold to Cott Beverages), was located in St. Louis, Missouri and was founded in 1916. Sylvester Jones, nickname "Vess", invented the formula for Whistle, an orange soda, in 1916, the same year that he founded the company. However, the soda was not sold until 1925. During the years of the Great Depression the company suffered from financial troubles, as did many companies during the 1930s. Vess Beverages was purchased by Donald Schneebarger, an advertising genius. He added many other flavors to the line. Below are some advertisements from Vess Beverages for the bottle shard I found.









Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. It's a nice looking bottle. Thanks for sharing your research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Rich in food value" is my new favorite ad slogan.

    ReplyDelete