Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Depression Glass Shard ID: Paden City "Party Line" Pattern

I dug this unusually shaped shard in a 1930s family dumpsite.


I was stumped on it ever since I dug it up. The glass is very thick, so it most likely couldn't have been a wine glass, but there is evidence that a stem used to protrude from the bottom. Maybe a lid? I didn't know.

The Research Process
I actually discovered this piece through another piece!
I bought this creamer a few months ago at an estate sale.


I was looking through my collection a few weeks ago and I remembered that I had never identified the creamer pattern. I had already looked through my Depression glass book that I own, but this mystery pattern wasn't included. I had checked out a newer book from the library a few weeks ago so I looked through that book hoping that I would find a match. I ended up finding the match! The pattern is called "Party Line" or "Soda Fountain" and was produced by the Paden City Glass company from the late 1920s to 1951.

A few days later I was looking through my shards and realized the unusual green shard had a very similar pattern to the creamer I had recently identified. I browsed for a while on the internet. I came up with close matches, but nothing similar.




I was still convinced that the shard belonged to a "Party Line" piece. I kept searching.

A little later I came across something. The piece was in pink, but I think I had a match!


A side by side picture



I searched for a correct color match, but I couldn't find anything. I believe the piece is the "4 or 6 oz Tulip Sundae".

Coincidentally, on the day that I identified this shard, my new Depression glass book arrived in the mail. I found a catalogue reprint from 1928 in which my piece is visible.


Finally, the mystery was solved!

Paden City Glass Company 
The Paden City Glass Company opened its doors in 1916 in the town of Paden City, West Virginia. Although only enjoying a production run of 35 years, in that short time Paden City became well known for their unique glass. The company started out with producing crystal wares and pressed tableware, but expanded to color in the 1920s. Black glass was introduced in 1923, blue, green, amber and mulberry in 1924, pink, (also known as Cheriglo) in 1925, Golden Glow (topaz) in 1931, royal red and blue in 1932, amethyst in 1933, and lastly, forest green and Ceylon blue in 1936. Paden City began producing etched tableware as well. Paden City glass is scarce today, which may be due to the fact that their glass was shipped to the West Indies and other unknown countries. The company closed in 1951.

"Party Line"
Below are some pictures of Party Line pieces.


Thanks for reading!




2 comments:

  1. Your hobby of identifying antique glassware is very interesting, Linnea. When I first saw this green piece (perfect for St Patrick's week), I thought it was one of those antique insulators they used to use on telephone poles, but instead it had a much more unique history. Great detective Work! I'm looking forward to the next piece.
    - René Silinis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how that piece found its way to the dump? Was it sold in Chicago? Did someone move here from the east and bring it with them. Very interesting detective work.

    ReplyDelete