Friday, February 10, 2017

My Great Grandmother's Jelly Dish

When I first started becoming interested in collecting Depression glass, I told my grandmother about it and asked if she had any old glass sitting around. She dug around and brought me this dish.


It turns out that this handled jelly dish belonged to my great grandmother. My grandmother gifted it to me, knowing that I would put it to good use. It is now on display in my room and I use it occasionally at mealtimes to serve food. Its history and sentimental value makes it one of my favorite pieces. It's amazing to think that my Great Grandmother served meals off this dish back in the day!

Of course, I had to do research on my new dish. This dish was made by Imperial Glass in the late 1920s until the early 1930s. Exact dates of production are unknown. The pattern was known as "Little Jewel" and "Line Number 330 Diamond Block". According to Gene Florence, this pattern is not very well known by collectors and is just starting to attract collectors. Not many pieces in this pattern are known. In Gene Florence's Depression glass book, 14th edition, he lists a jelly dish, jug, pickle dish, sugar, vase, celery, creamer, berry bowl, lily bowl, bowl, and honey bowl. Little Jewel came in the colors crystal (clear), black, iridescent, pink, and yellow. Since this particular book was written, more pieces and colors were probably discovered.
Pictured below are some examples of other colors and pieces in Little Jewel.

Black


Blue


Pink


Green


Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. It's a special piece, since it game from Grandma Guest. Maybe we will find other Little Jewels!

    ReplyDelete