Tuesday, February 28, 2017

An Assortment of 3 Recent Identifications

My second favorite thing besides digging is identifying the items I dig up. For every item I identify, I make a collage to post on my Instagram account. Below are some of the collages and some extra information on recent shards and relics I have discovered the origins of. Enjoy the pictures!


Green Depression Glass Measuring Cup Base   

I dug this shard at a 1920s-1930s city dumpsite. I knew that it was a base of something, but I didn't know if it was of a bowl or something else. The remaining glass on the sides came up too straight to be a bowl, so I guessed measuring cup. This was the closest match I could find. Of course, many different variations of green Depression glass measuring cups were produced during the Depression era, so without more evidence it's hard to find a exact match.



Green "Jadeware by Sebring" Bowl

This was a hard one! Based on the visible lettering I guessed the backstamp read "... Ware By ..."
I started by searching different things like "Green Ware 1930s" and other variations. I wasn't having any luck so I started inserting well known pottery companies in the search. I found a match when I searched "Sebring Green Ware". Turns out this piece was a "Jade Ware" bowl by Sebring, made in USA.  Below is a picture of some assorted Sebring Jade Ware.






Clear/Crystal "Circle" Pattern Depression Glass 
Sherbet/Stem Bottom

I identified this piece on accident. I'm not completely sure if this is the piece it belonged to but it's close enough. It's hard to find an exact match when the top part of the stem is not attached. I had dug up another "Circle" pattern shard a while back and while researching, I noticed the base had the same pattern as another shard I was puzzled on.  "Circle" was produced in the 1930s by Hocking Glass in green, pink, and crystal. Below are some other pictures of Hocking's "Circle" pattern.






As always, thanks for reading!












No comments:

Post a Comment