Monday, February 6, 2017

Depression Glass Shard ID: Pink Centerpiece Bowl

I dug up this piece months ago at a city dumpsite that I visit frequently.


I never took interest to discovering its origin, thinking that it would be too difficult due to the lack of a visible pattern. A few days ago, however, I decided that I would figure out what the shard belonged to.

The research process:

I could tell from the bottom that it was a footed bowl, with four feet, so I searched "Pink Depression glass footed bowl". I got results like these.

I was definitely on the right track, but I wasn't finding what I was looking for.
I changed my search to "Pink depression glass four footed console bowl".
I found this! I was on the right track!

The picture was labelled as "Imperial Molly Etched Pink Footed Console Bowl"

Since my bowl looked very similar to this "Molly" pattern, but without the etching, I looked on http://www.replacements.com and searched "Molly" by Imperial.
To my delight, I found what I had been looking for all along!

The rims are a little more defined than they are on the bowl I have, but I'm pretty sure this is a match.
Below is a side to side picture.


Imperial's Molly Pattern
This pattern, Line number 725, was produced by Imperial Glass Company. According to Gene Florence's first Depression glass identification book, Molly was produced during the mid 1930's and was released in the colors red, blue, green, pink, and crystal. Not much other information is known about this pattern.

Imperial Glass Company
Imperial Glass Company was founded in 1901 by Edward Muhleman. However, production did not start until 1904. They produced pressed glass patterns and closed in the 1970s. 

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. So cool! You could fill that bowl with Ritz crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you explained your process! Awesome work. And I love the bowl - it's beautiful. Where was Imperial Glass Company located?

    ReplyDelete